Memorial Day Weekend Campout
Humboldt Redwoods State Park
3 nights, May 25-28, 2018
Join us for a three-day camping and hiking extravaganza in the beautiful redwoods of Humboldt County, May 25-28! Approximately one-third of the park, 17,000 acres, is old-growth redwood forest—the largest expanse of ancient redwoods left on the planet. The park has about 100 miles of hiking trails, plus opportunities for boating, fishing, and other water activities. The club will offer a variety of organized hikes of different lengths/difficulty, and evening activities will include a pot-luck, star-gazing singing, and possibly skits. We will be camping along the South fork of the Eel River, not far from the park’s Avenue of the Giants visitor center, at Williams Grove Group Campsite. This site offers picnic tables, fire rings, barbecue grills, potable water, restrooms and river access. Campers can use the showers at nearby campgrounds. The trip leaders are Pam LoPinto, Nancy Kates and Cindy Icke.
Fine Print: Please read the following information to make sure this trip is right for you before registering:
Cost: $50 per person for GLS members; Nonmembers can register after joining GLS. Registration is limited to 35 participants, each participant must register separately.
Pets: No pets are allowed. Even emotional support or therapy animals are not permitted. If in doubt, contact leader before signing up.
Medical Information: In the registration, we will be asking for medical information so that our trip and hike leaders will know in advance of special medical conditions you may have, rather than learning about them in a crisis. This information will be kept confidential.
Cancellation: read entire cancellation policy before registering:
Outing Registration and Cancellation Policies
For more information about Humboldt Redwoods State Park, Click here
July 4th Weekend Campout- 4 nights, June 30-July 4, 2018
Our July 4th campout this year will take us to Bear River Reservoir on Rt. 88 30 miles west of Carson Pass.
Situated at 6,000 ft., its proximity to water and the mixed pine setting in the fresh Sierra Nevada air, make Bear River Group Campground an excellent group retreat destination.
Water sports near camp include fishing, kayaking, canoeing, swimming and picnicking on the shores.
Hikes: There are spectacular hikes into the High Sierra from a number of trailheads along 88 as well as short, easy hikes near camp.
GLS camping trips also feature a potluck dinner on Saturday evening, and camaraderie around GLS’s propane fire pits, with options for Follies (skits and home-grown entertainment), game night, sing-alongs and/or a dance party depending on the participants interest.
We hope you will join us for what promises to be a wonderful extended weekend in a magical location.
New this year. We will be reserving 8 spaces for people who were waitlisted on the previous camping trip. (In this case Memorial Day.) If you were waitlisted and unable to attend Memorial Day, please contact Paget Valentzas, firstname.lastname@example.org, by Thursday and she will provide you with a special registration code. Any spots not claimed by Monday evening at 8 pm will be turned over to membership at large.
Angela Romagnoli Camping Scholarship: This scholarship, which provides free registration to one camper for each GLS camping trip, has been established in the memory of Angie Romagnoli. It is intended for a GLS member who might otherwise not be able to join a camping trip due to financial restraints. If you or someone you know would like to take advantage of this scholarship, please contact email@example.com by Friday evening, May 18. If there are multiple applicants, we will conduct a random drawing.
1. All participants must register and pay online on the GLS website.
2. No registrations will be accepted until an outing has been announced to the full membership via email announcement.
3. Space on any outing will be assigned only upon completion of registration and payment.
4. Confirmed reservations are non-transferable.
5. As with any GLS outing, acceptance of any individual on a trip will be at the discretion of the particular Outings Leader for that trip.
6. Registration fees will be refunded to any Outings Leader who plans and leads a group hike during camping trips. Serving as a co-leader for such activities does not qualify for a refund.
7. Once the allowable number of participants has been confirmed, a wait list will be compiled. If a cancellation occurs, individuals will be contacted in the order in which their names appear on the waitlist. Failure to respond within 24 hours will forfeit one’s place on the waitlist. Registration for most trips will close two days in advance of trips.
8. CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS: All cancellations must be sent via email to the trip registrar. Cancellations received at least 14 days in advance will be refunded the registration fee, less $10, if and only if the space can be filled. Otherwise, the full fee will be forfeited. Cancellations received less than 14 days in advance of a trip will forfeit the full registration fee. If a personal or family illness or other extenuating circumstances cause a last minute cancellation, that person may appeal in writing to GovCom for a waiver and partial refund. In all cases, no refunds will be issued until after the scheduled camping trip or outing.
9. To facilitate trip leadership and safety, registration and payment is required in order to participate in any aspect of a camping trip or other outing sponsored by the GLS Governing Committee.
10. Should the Governing Committee cancel a camping trip or outing for any reason, all registrants will receive a full refund.