Baby Seals and Sea Otter Watch By Kayak in Elkhorn Slough
Sea otters, harbor seals and an array of seabirds makes the protected water of Elkhorn Slough our most popular sea kayaking
destination. We'll explore the Slough's tidal creeks learning about it's unique ecology and stop for a picnic on shore.
This is an ideal trip for wildlife enthusiast and those new to the sport of kayaking. You do not have to know how to kayak for this trip.
Cost: $58.00 for GLS member. $62 for non-members
-Kayak and life jacket provided.
What to Bring
* Dress in layers -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
* Long pants or shorts- sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; an outer shell of nylon material dries quickly, but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade in to launch your boat.
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle
* Snacks/lunch in a compact lunch bag or ziploc--take in boat with you
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk); disposable cameras work well.
* Small, compact daypack (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home to be left in car