Sorry, but this event is now sold out. You can join the waitlist and we will send you an email when additional spaces become available.
Baby Seals and Sea Otter Watch By Kayak in Elkhorn Slough
Sea otters, harbor seals and an array of seabirds makes the protected water of Elkhorn Slough our most popular sea kayaking
destination. We'll explore the Slough's tidal creeks learning about it's unique ecology and stop for a picnic on shore.
This is an ideal trip for wildlife enthusiast and those new to the sport of kayaking. You do not have to know how to kayak for this trip.
Cost: $58.00 for GLS member. $62 for non-members
-Kayak and life jacket provided.
What to Bring
* Dress in layers -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
* Long pants or shorts- sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; an outer shell of nylon material dries quickly, but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade in to launch your boat.
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle
* Snacks/lunch in a compact lunch bag or ziploc--take in boat with you
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk); disposable cameras work well.
* Small, compact daypack (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home to be left in car
Van Damme State Park Memorial Day Weekend Campout May 26-29 2017
Join GLS for a spectacular and relaxing member's only weekend camping on the northern California coast just south of the town of Mendocino. Van Damme State Park brings together the drama of the rugged Mendocino coastline and the relaxing beauty of forest. There is plenty to explore right there including giant ferns, old growth Redwood, and a 100 year old Pygmy Forest as well as beaches, coastal bluffs and wetlands farther inland. For the action oriented there is hiking and ocean kayaking. For the birders, there are Yellow warblers, belted kingfishers, Swainson’s thrush and northern spotted owls among others. All right there, without getting in your car! Farther afield is everything your heart could desire including rivers, restaurants, famously picturesque towns and endless amounts of coast.